пятница

Get Creative! (By Carolyn Cordon)

I'm a poet and writer, and I love cooking because it allows me another expression of my creativity. Too much of one thing and the balance gets blotted out, with inedible results sometimes. Yucky and wasteful (that's why I have dogs - so my cooking experiments are never wasted, no matter how bad they turn out!). If you get the balance right, though, Yummerlicious!

There are thousands of other ways to explore your inner creativity. People who claim 'not to have a creative bone in their body', just haven't found the correct avenue to explore. I've always said in the past I'm hopeless at art-type things, but once I rekindled my interest in poetry (and allowed it to flower into my passion), then I realized I was creative. My poetry is my most creative outlet, and my most loved outlet for creativity. But I've followed up on other interests too, and discovered I am creative in other ways as well.

Crochet, which my maternal grandmother introduced me to in my early years (when I was perhaps ten or eleven years old), has not been a huge interest until quite recently. Last year I gave it another go, nothing difficult, just a rug/blanket, but I was so happy with the result, I have decided that making a rug is what I am going to do every year, at least once, starting in late summer, early autumn, and aiming at having new rug to keep me warm every winter.

As it stands, my son currently has two of my creative artworks on his bed, along with his quilt, and I am happy he is kept warm by my very own work. The thought of it keeps me warm as the reality of it keeps him warm.

The rugs I've created are full of errors, but they are also stories. With the first one, I sourced the yarn from a lot of different places. A dear friend of mine is a talented textiles craftswoman, and she gave me quite a few of her own yarn - from her own sheep, and spun by her. Now that Ally has learned to shear sheep, she can do the whole lot - breed the sheep and raise it, shear the sheep, spin the yarn and dye it if she wants colored wool.

Ally has other talents too, she is a poet, and she is a marvelous illustrator. I am privileged to have her as my friend. Ally has lots of ideas on what I could do with my work, and whilst I don't always follow her ideas, they certainly get my creative juices going. Every time I look at the blankets on my son's bed, I remember where the yarn came from, so as I work I am making stories.

I am also a little bit creative with my excuses to not do housework. When I die, no-one will say - that Carolyn, she sure kept a tidy house. I'm hoping people will remember me for my listening skills and empathy, and for my sense of humor. That's another area to explore creativity, as all comedians know, being funny can be hard work, But when it's working Woohoo! It's fantastic.I find it hard to find the creativity in dusting or vacuuming, but one day I may discover it and finally have a tidy house! I don't think so.

So I encourage everyone out there, particularly those who 'don't think they're creative' to give something a go, let loose and let the creative juices free rein for a change. Whether it's cookery, poetry, or crochet, feel free to experiment, make some mistakes and create something wonderful.

Carolyn Cordon
dreamer, dog breeder, poet, writer
http://holkschter.bigblog.com.au
http://puppysmum.blogspot.com
http://sallyodgers.com/digit.htm

Комментариев нет: